background

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Baby!

I am 38 weeks pregnant today.  On this day of my pregnancy, with Neva, I was induced due to ridiculously high blood pressure.  I've been very thankful this time around, that it hasnt been a concern.  With Neva it started to elevate around 30 weeks and I was in and out of my OB's office twice a week for monitoring (not to mention all the pre-term contractions I dealt with that had me in and out of labor and delivery).  Dare I say, at one point my BP was in excess of 160/110.  Normally, I have a low BP.  High blood pressure is never something I deal with outside of pregnancy.  This pregnancy, it's been 110/70 the entire time.  I thought I was good!  Imagine my surprise when I go in for my 38 week appt today and the nurse informs me that my blood pressure has spiked up to 140/97.  They re-took it several times.  That's moderately high, *especially* for a preggo, but what worries them more is the spike.  It makes them think toxemia, which would be a terrible thing to happen right now.  That's like, emergency c-section time. 

My doctor, who I LOVE and trust very much to make the right call, says he would prefer to deliver this baby soon.  I ask "how soon?", and he says, well, how about tomorrow?  yikes!  Am I ready to have this baby tomorrow?  I mean, I AM, I've BEEN ready, forever, it seems like.  But... this is different!  I was really wanting to go into labor naturally this time, to experience what that's like... but alas, I do not think it is meant to be.  I'm full term now, it would be silly to wait for my BP to go any higher, for toxemia to develop, to take that risk.  I asked him to see if they could take me sometime later in the week so we'd at least have a few days, but the only opening they had for an induction in the next 4 days is... tomorrow.  So, tomorrow we have a baby! 

I'm excited.  Much more excited than when we were getting ready to bring Neva into our lives.  I had NO experience with babies, I had no idea what to expect.  I was scared!  I was wholly unprepared.  This time is different.  I've done this before!  I am much more confident in myself and my ability as a mother to do things differently, and more easily, than what we experienced the first time.  And so I've allowed myself to become REALLY excited about this birth, and that makes everything different, and ok. 

I cant wait to meet this boy!! 

1 comment:

  1. how EXCITING!!! i'm so happy you guys are having another baby- you both are awesome parents!!! i can't wait to meet him- i'm sure with parents like you guys and a sister like neva, this boy is going to be pretty amazing! have an wonderful day meeting your son- how COOL!!! :)

    ReplyDelete